Wind Chill Warning for Western South Dakota
This alert expired on Jan 6, 2014 12:01 PM MST ·
Alert area: Bennett; Butte; Haakon; Harding; Jackson; Mellette; Northern Meade Co Plains; Pennington Co Plains; Perkins; Southern Meade Co Plains; Todd; Tripp; Ziebach
Tips from ready.gov
Excerpted from ready.gov Before:
- Before winter approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit:
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Visit the Environmental Protection Agency for a complete list of recommended products.
- Sand to improve traction.
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
- Sufficient heating fuel. You may become isolated in your home and regular fuel sources may be cut off. Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
- What to do before winter storms and extreme cold.
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow. Overexertion can bring on a heart attack - a major cause of death in the winter. If you must shovel snow, stretch before going outside.
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat. Wet clothing loses all of its insulating value and transmits heat rapidly.
- Watch for signs of frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes, and the tip of the nose. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately.
- Conserve fuel, if necessary, by keeping your residence cooler than normal. Temporarily close off heat to some rooms.
- What to do during winter storms and extreme cold.
Other alerts in this area
What is a Wind Chill Warning?
Wind chill temperatures reaching or exceeding locally defined warning criteria (typical value is -18°F or colder)