Blizzard Warning for Northern Virginia
Blizzard Warning remains in effect until 2 pm EDT Tuesday.
- Precipitation type: Heavy wet snow mixing with Rain at times.
- Accumulations: 6 to 12 inches for elevations above 2000 feet.
- Timing: snow will be heaviest this evening. Precipitation will continue into Tuesday afternoon.
- Temperatures: Lower 30s.
- Winds: west 30 to 40 mph with gusts up to 60 mph.
- Impacts: It is likely that the combination of strong wind and heavy wet snow will down tree limbs and power lines. Expect near zero visibilities in periods of heavy snow.
* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY WET SNOW MIXING WITH RAIN AT TIMES.
* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2000 FEET.
* TIMING...SNOW WILL BE HEAVIEST THIS EVENING. PRECIPITATION WILL
CONTINUE INTO TUESDAY AFTERNOON.
* TEMPERATURES...LOWER 30S.
* WINDS...WEST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.
* IMPACTS...IT IS LIKELY THAT THE COMBINATION OF STRONG WIND AND
HEAVY WET SNOW WILL DOWN TREE LIMBS AND POWER LINES. EXPECT
NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES IN PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW.
A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to Whiteout conditions, making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay with your vehicle.
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS
AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF
YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET
STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.