Posted 696 days ago – National Weather Service
Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 11 pm EST this evening.
Winter Storm Warning is cancelled.
The National Weather Service in Cleveland has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for snow, which is in effect until 11 pm EST this evening. The Winter Storm Warning has been cancelled.
- Accumulations: .1 to locally 3 inches.
- Timing: light to moderate snow and blowing snow will taper off this evening.
- Winds: northeast 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
- Temperatures: around 30.
- Visibilities: less than a mile at times from the combination of falling and blowing snow.
- Impacts: snow accumulation can make roads slick, requiring lower speeds and greater distances between vehicles while driving.
A Winter Weather Advisory is normally issued for a variety of winter weather conditions such as light snow, blowing snow, sleet, Freezing Rain and wind chills. While the weather will be significant, the word advisory implies that severe winter weather is not anticipated. Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio For further details or updates.
Excerpted from ready.gov Before:
- Before winter approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit:
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Visit the Environmental Protection Agency for a complete list of recommended products.
- Sand to improve traction.
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
- Sufficient heating fuel. You may become isolated in your home and regular fuel sources may be cut off. Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
- More about:
- What to do before winter storms and extreme cold.
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow. Overexertion can bring on a heart attack - a major cause of death in the winter. If you must shovel snow, stretch before going outside.
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat. Wet clothing loses all of its insulating value and transmits heat rapidly.
- Watch for signs of frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes, and the tip of the nose. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately.
- Conserve fuel, if necessary, by keeping your residence cooler than normal. Temporarily close off heat to some rooms.
- More about:
- What to do during winter storms and extreme cold.
What is a Winter Weather Advisory?
A winter weather event having one or more hazards (i.e., snow, snow and blowing snow, snow and ice, snow and sleet, or snow, ice and sleet) meeting or exceeding locally defined 12 and/or 24 hour advisory criteria for at least one of the precipitation elements, but remaining below warning criteria. Source: nws.noaa.gov