Winter Storm Warning in Central Pennsylvania
This alert expired on Dec 15, 2013 4:00 AM EST
Alert area: Bedford; Blair; Cambria; Clearfield; Columbia; Cumberland; Dauphin; Franklin; Fulton; Huntingdon; Juniata; Lebanon; Mifflin; Montour; Northern Centre; Northumberland; Perry; Schuylkill; Snyder; Somerset; Southern Centre; Union
Posted Dec 14, 2013 8:57 PM EST
Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 4 am EST Sunday.
- Locations: Laurel Highlands, South-central mountains and middle Susquehanna Valley.
- Hazard types: wintry mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain.
- Snow accumulations: storm totals of 4 to 8 inches.
- Ice accumulations: Up To One-tenth of an inch.
- Timing: The wintry mix is expected to end after midnight. Some patchy freezing drizzle may linger into the early morning hours Sunday.
- Impacts: widespread dangerous travel due to snow covered and icy roads. Unnecessary travel is not recommended.
Excerpted from ready.govBefore:
Excerpted from ready.govDuring:
- Before winter approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit:
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Visit the Environmental Protection Agency
for a complete list of recommended products.
Sand to improve traction.
Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
Sufficient heating fuel. You may become isolated in your home and regular fuel sources may be cut off. Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove.
Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
- What to do before winter storms and extreme cold.
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow. Overexertion can bring on a heart attack - a major cause of death in the winter. If you must shovel snow, stretch before going outside.
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat. Wet clothing loses all of its insulating value and transmits heat rapidly.
- Watch for signs of frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes, and the tip of the nose. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately.
- Conserve fuel, if necessary, by keeping your residence cooler than normal. Temporarily close off heat to some rooms.
- What to do during winter storms and extreme cold.
Is this page useful for you?
Let us know how it can be improved.